Sunday, October 14, 2012

Now You See Me, Now You Don't - Kiler Davenport

Most folks are so kind to you until they find out you are in need of something. When they first meet you they put on that face of "how are you doing today?". "Well let me tell you I am not doing good at all. I just lost my job. The wife and I are so depressed because we are just about a week away from being homeless." Man the look on their face goes from smile to blank in thirty seconds and then they start to look for an easy exit strategy. I do this to strangers some times just to watch the reaction and eight times of ten people just can't wait to get away from you. Two out of ten will normally listen intently and one of those might offer some really good advice and might even pray for you if you are lucky.

Does anyone ever ask you if you are hungry? Do they ever offer you a place to stay or want to keep in touch and try and be of help. Well hell no. Especially in this day and time when everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to make ends meet themselves.

I believe that if someone just came out and said you are coming to my house and you and your wife can have the spare bedroom. I would shit my pants. I have done this on numerous occasions just to see what would happen. I'm am telling you we live in a dog eat dog world. It has become a real zone in the burbs.

People have become more selfish and protective. They are paranoid of strangers in need but to not even sit and talk to you. To just look for a quick exit in my opinion is just down right dirty.

I always love it when they find an escape route and as they are leaving they look back and say " we will keep you in our prayers brother." What the hell does that mean anyway? Let me tell you what it means. I really do not give a rats about your problems and I use God's name to make me feel good about myself and I do not have the time or patience to deal with this shit.

Yes my friends the world is a twisted and perverted place. There are so many folks in need and very few equipped to help. I mean come on how many of you would really take the extra time and effort to help this stranger. How many of you would put yourself in harms way to reach out to a person you had never met and offer more than a prayer. I can promise you not many. I admit it is a tough thing.

I have been on both sides of this conversation and I can tell you it ain't easy. It is at the least a very awkward situation and most people really have no idea what to do. I wish that I could give an easy answer here but I can't. What I can say is we all need to try and do more, much more to help those in true need. Those that by no fault of their own fell through the cracks and had no safety net to catch them.

Mary and I have been out there and we know what it is like to feel like an outcast, to feel invisible, to feel completely unwanted. I mean when you are out there lost people seem to look right through you as if you weren't even there. Or maybe they pretend not to see you. Either way it is the most horrible and degrading feeling in the world hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment