Monday, July 11, 2011

Coming Home by Kiler Davenport

Empty_bench
I came back to that place we met today
I stood there for what seemed like an eternity
I could not find any words to say

Some say I'll get over this
As time passes by
Your best friend spoke of the memories
All I could do is hang my head and cry

I do not want to be here anymore
They have no idea
They will never understand
I want to be at home with you
To hold you once again

I'll go back now to that empty place
We used to call our home
When they come for me in the morning
I'll already be gone

I hope you will forgive me
For the deed when it is done
Visiting this old empty bench
Has not been any fun

I'll be there bright and early
Reach out and take my hand
And we can walk forever
In that eternal promise land

Author notes

I thought of myself and my wife and what it would be like if she ever died. I saw her sitting on that bench and then I was able to see it empty and know that she was gone forever. My heart grew cold and bitter and I knew I could not make it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment